We have an almost invisible, immediate cadre of spiritual teachers available to most of us--for some of us, within our very own homes.
I am speaking of children.
Having just hosted seven young children here at my home for a birthday sleepover, I observed the following highly enlightening traits of these smallish gurus.
1) They do not think much about time (if at all) and so tend to trust their natural inclinations. (Time to eat! Time to play! Time to throw all the couch pillows on the floor and use them as stepping stones.)
2) While they can occasionally be petty and squabble, they are more often than not kind and extremely generous. They are ultimately Loving. Love is a natural (as opposed to "reached for" or earned) condition, in which they live. They like to hug and be hugged.
3) They are not afraid of feeling or expressing strong emotions.
And, at the same time ...
4) They are quick to move past a strong emotion and simply forget all about it.
5) When they are sick, they are not particularly interested in why they got sick, who is to blame for their sickness, nor what type of sickness it is and/or how it might have been avoided. They are simply sick, and hope to get well.
6) They seek to find the joy and fun and humor in every moment and circumstance. They are deeply interested in the Present.
7) They care more about candy and sweets than money.
8) They (generally) do not care how their hair looks, nor whether it has been combed or washed in the past few days.
9) They like to wear bright colors with shiny stuff. It is OK if socks do not match, and also OK if pants, shirts, etc. do not match.
10) If we are parents or caregivers, children can push us to the outer limits of our own thoughts and beliefs about life, and how life and children should be. If we are attentive, we can learn to become wide open, vulnerable, courageous and tough. We can learn to love more deeply than we ever have before, and let go in ways we never thought possible.
Join me this coming Friday, February 22, on the On the Front Porch internet radio show for more about the gifts of children, and how we, as parents, can learn from them--and bring out the best in our kids. At 10 a.m. Pacific Time (U.S.) on the Contact Talk Radio network. Live callers welcome.
Your Mystical Mama!